Vineyard Economics Seminar Sponsors
Vineyard Economics Media Sponsors
SAVE THE DATES FOR THE
23rd ANNAUL WINE INDUSTRY FINANCIAL SYMPOSIUM
SEPTEMBER 22-23, 2014
THE DINNER THIS YEAR WILL BE HELD ON THE 22nd AT THE CASTELLO DI AMOROSA
2013 Wine Industry Financial Symposium®
22nd Annual Event
Napa Valley Marriott, Napa, California
"The Global Environment for Wine”
Monday, September 23, 2013
Seminar & Symposium Registration: 11:00 a.m.
Monday Networking Lunch: 11:45 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Wine Industry Financial Seminars: 1:30 p. m. - 5:00 p.m.
Reception and Dinner, 6:00 p. m - 9:00 p.m.
The Hudson House, Beringer Winery, 2000 Main Street, St. Helena, CA
Dinner Speaker: Bobby Koch, President, Wine Institute
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Registration: 7:45 a.m. - 8:15a.m.
Wine Industry Financial Symposium: 8:15 a. m. - 4:00 p. m.
Industry Keynote: David Dearie, CEO, Treasury Wine Estates
Financial Sponsors’ Wine Tasting & Reception: 4:00 p.m.
Wine Industry Financial Symposium®
Monday Workshops – September 23, 2013
Session I: 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Choose One
1. WINE CLUB SUMMIT: BEST PRACTICES
Wine clubs provide one of the highest profit margins in the wine business and create avid customers and amabassadors for your winery. This panel of industry experts will cover the mechanics and sales aspects of a great club. In addition, seminar attendees will learn the challenges and opportunities of running a club with over 10,000 members.
- Craig Root, President, Visitor Management Resources, Moderator
- Sarah Augustus, Wine Club Manager, Domaine Chandon
- Lesley Berglund, Founder, WISE Academy
2. THE SUPERGROWTH WINERIES; WHO SETS THE PACE FOR WINERY GROWTH AND PROFITABILITY
Winery owners and managers must make choices between strategic alternatives to produce a competititve advantage. Yet, wineries are unlikely to achieve a unique advantage based on resource capabilities alone. How is it that some wineries are really different and manage to grow faster than others? What strategies have these wineries employed to remain more profitabile than rivals over a recent five year period?
- Armand Gilinsky, Jr. Professor of Business, Sonoma State University
- Dan Aguilar, Managing Director, Silicon Valley Bank Wine Division
3. HOW DOES FINANCIAL DUE DILIGENCE PROVIDE VALUE TO TRANSACTION PARTIES
Whether you are a buyer or seller, all parties in a transaction involving a change in ownership should consider performing financial due diligence prior to closing the deal. Given the substantial range in company valuations, it may not appear economical to perform full financial due diligence for smaller winery/vineyard transactions, and it may be difficult to determine the appropriate amount of financial due diligence. Regardless of the transaction size, deal risks areas exist and should be quantified. This panel of experts will discuss areas of focus for your due diligence when assessing a transaction.
- Steve Jannicelli, Senior Manager, Burr Pilger & Mayer LLC, Moderator
- John Gilmer, CFO, Winery Exchange
- Josh Grace, Managing Director, International Wine Associates
- Mark Ross, CPA, PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Carl Saba, CPA, Burr, Pilger & Mayer
4. HOW THE DIGITAL REVOLUTION IS REVOLUTIONIZING 3-TIER COMMUNICATIONS
The industry is talking about digital direct to consumer. However, 90% of producer income is derived through 3-tier distribution where the digital revolution has changed the way producers communicate with distributors, trade partners and consumers to dramatically affect the bottom line. Leanr how focus on "people and platforms" will gain alignment, drive sales and icncrease brand equity.
Session II: 3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Choose One
- Sean Dunn, Owner, Groove
- Peter Ekman, Partner, Jigsaw Advisors LLC
- Scott Edwards, Senior VP Sales, Foley Family Wines
- Alan Lundeen, Director of Talent, Coastal and Pacific Wines and Spirits, a Disvision of Southern Wines & Spirits
5. WHATS WORKING WITH THE LENDING COMMUNITY? DO MARKETS NEED TO BE MORE CREATIVE?
Update on the current state of debt and equity markets serving the wine industry and the future prognosis on cost and availability of capital. Come prepared to join the “discussion”!
- David Freed, Chairman, The Silverado Group, Moderator
- Matt Frankin, Principal, The Zepponi Company
- Ruth D. Edwards, Senior VP/ Regional Manager, Mechanics Bank
- Other panelist to be announced
6. MARKETING WINE TO WOMEN: TRADITIONAL AND INNOVATIVE BEST PRACTICES TO CONNECT WITH CUSTOMERS, CREATE COMMUNITIES AND SUSTAINABLY SELL MORE WNE.
The buying power of the female wine consumer is undenaible. Many successful wine brands are connecting with female wine consumers but are there sales opportunities that aren't being maximized? Explore how established and new hot brands alike are creating real ROI.
- Alison Crowe, Winemaker, Garnet Vineyards
- Carin Oliver, Chief Innovation Officer, Co-Owner, Angelsmith
- Aliza Sherman, Founder , Cybergrrl, Inc. , Speaker, Author, Web Pioneer
7. 2013 MOSS ADAMS WINE INDUSTRY FINANCIAL BENCHMARKING SURVEY
The survey results will provide critical data to wineries and vineyards throughout California, Oregon and Washington, enabling them to measure their 2012 operating and financial results against industry leaders.
- Bill Rodda, Vice President, American AgCredit
- Steve Fredricks, President, Turrentine Brokerage
- Rick Boland, Sr. Business Consultant, Moss Adams LLP
8. CURRENT SUCCESSION ISSUES FOR FAMILY OWNED BUSINESSES
- Jill Dodd, Partner, Manatt/ Phelps/Phillips - Family Wealth Transfer Planning and Trust & Estate Administration
- Other Panelists to be announced
“THE GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT FOR WINE"
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
|7:45 - 8:15 am
||COFFEE & REGISTRATION
|8:15 - 8:20 am
||WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS
Kathryn Archer, President, Wine Industry Symposium Group
|8:20 - 8:30 am
||WINE INDUSTRY OVERVIEW
David Freed, Chairman, The Silverado Group
|8:30 - 9:15 am
WHAT WINE INDUSTRY LEADERS THINK IS IMPORTANT FOR THE FUTURE
Robert Smiley, Dean and Professor Emeritus, Director of Wine Graduate School of Management, University of California, Davis
|9:15 - 10:00 am
ONE FOOT IN THE VINEYARD, ONE FOOT IN THE BOARDROOM AND WINE MERCHANTS TO THE WORLD
David Dearie, CEO, Treasury Wine Estates
|10:00 - 10:30 am
||GET - ACQUAINTED BREAK
|10:30 - 11:45 am
THE STATE OF SUPPLY AND PROCESSING
Tony Correia, Owner, The Correia Company, Moderator
Steve Fredricks, Preisdent, Turrentine Wine Brokerage
Glenn Proctor, Partner, Ciatti Wine Company LLC
Hugh Reimers, Executive VP, Chief Operating Officer, Jackson Family Wines
|11:45 -12:30 pm
TRENDS IN TOTAL BEVERAGE ALCOHOL
Viven Azer, Vice President, Tobacco & Alcoholic Beverages, Citi Research
|12:30 - 1:45 pm
|1:45 - 2:45 pm
EXPANDING CHANNELS AND METHODS OF DISTRIBUTION: WHAT IS THE FUTURE?
Dale Stratton, Director of Stragetic Insights, Constellation Wines, Moderator
Linsly Donnelly, CMO, Wine.com
Rowan Gormley, Founder, Naked Wines
|2:45 - 3:30 pm
THE FACE OF TODAY'S CONSUMER: WHO IS BUYING WINE AND WHO ARE THE INFLUENCERS
John Gillespie, Preisdent, Wine Market Council and CEO, Wine Opinions
|3:30 to 4:00 pm
4:00 - 5:00 pm
|WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED TODAY?
Steve Spadarotto, VP & General Manager, Stags Leap Wine Cellars
Robert Fowles, CFO, Opus One Winery
WINETASTING AND RECEPTION- HOSTED BY THE WINE INDUSTRY FINANCIAL SYMPOSIUM SPONSORS