SAVE THE DATES FOR THE
2014 Wine Industry Financial Symposium
the 23rd Annual Event will be held at the Napa Valley Marriott
September 22-23, 2014
2014 Program will be posted in July 2014
The VIP dinner on September 22nd will be held at Castello di Amorosa
2013 Wine Industry Financial Symposium®
22nd Annual Event
Napa Valley Marriott, Napa, California
"The Global Environment for Wine”
Monday Workshops – September 23, 2013
Session I: 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Choose One
1. WINE CLUB SUMMIT: BEST PRACTICES
Wine clubs provide one of the highest profit margins in the wine business and create avid customers and amabassadors for your winery. This panel of industry experts will cover the mechanics and sales aspects of a great club. In addition, seminar attendees will learn the challenges and opportunities of running a club with over 10,000 members.
- Craig Root, President, Visitor Management Resources, Moderator
- Sarah Augustus, Wine Club Manager, Domaine Chandon
- Lesley Berglund, Founder, WISE Academy
2. THE SUPERGROWTH WINERIES; WHO SETS THE PACE FOR WINERY GROWTH AND PROFITABILITY
Winery owners and managers must make choices between strategic alternatives to produce a competititve advantage. Yet, wineries are unlikely to achieve a unique advantage based on resource capabilities alone. How is it that some wineries are really different and manage to grow faster than others? What strategies have these wineries employed to remain more profitabile than rivals over a recent five year period?
- Armand Gilinsky, Jr. Professor of Business, Sonoma State University
- Dan Aguilar, Managing Director, Silicon Valley Bank Wine Division
3. HOW DOES FINANCIAL DUE DILIGENCE PROVIDE VALUE TO TRANSACTION PARTIES
Whether you are a buyer or seller, all parties in a transaction involving a change in ownership should consider performing financial due diligence prior to closing the deal. Given the substantial range in company valuations, it may not appear economical to perform full financial due diligence for smaller winery/vineyard transactions, and it may be difficult to determine the appropriate amount of financial due diligence. Regardless of the transaction size, deal risks areas exist and should be quantified. This panel of experts will discuss areas of focus for your due diligence when assessing a transaction.
- Steve Jannicelli, Senior Manager, Burr Pilger & Mayer LLC, Moderator
- John Gilmer, CFO, Winery Exchange
- Josh Grace, Managing Director, International Wine Associates
- Mark Ross, CPA, PriceWaterhouseCoopers
4. HOW THE DIGITAL REVOLUTION IS REVOLUTIONIZING YOUR 3-TIER PROFITABILITY
The industry is talking about digital direct to consumer. However, 90%+ of producer income is derived through 3-tier distribution where the digital revolution is increasing conversions, reducing costs, and creating brand alignment insider your organization and externally with distributors, retailers, restaurants and consumers. Learn how lean, smart and effective digital engagement has changed the way brand owners communication with their trade partners to improve the bottom line.
Session II: 3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Choose One
- Patrick Morgan, National Wine, Spirits and Beer Buyer at Cost Plus World Market
- Alan Lundeen, Director of Talent, Coastal & Pacific Wine & Spirits, a Division of Southern Wine & Spirits
- Scott Edwards, Senior VP Sales, Foley Family Wines
- Sean Dunn, Owner, GroovePeter Ekman, Partner, Jigsaw Advisors LLC
- Peter Ekman, Partner, Jigsaw Advisors LLC
5. WHATS WORKING WITH THE LENDING COMMUNITY? DO MARKETS NEED TO BE MORE CREATIVE?
Update on the current state of debt and equity markets serving the wine industry and the future prognosis on cost and availability of capital. Come prepared to join the “discussion”!
6. MARKETING WINE TO WOMEN: TRADITIONAL AND INNOVATIVE BEST PRACTICES TO CONNECT WITH CUSTOMERS, CREATE COMMUNITIES AND SUSTAINABLY SELL MORE WINE.
The buying power of the female wine consumer is undeniable. Many successful wine brands are connecting with female wine consumers, but are there sales opportunities that aren’t being maximized? Explore how established and new hot brands alike are creating real ROI.
- Alison Crowe, Winemaker, Garnet Vineyards
- Carin Oliver, Chief Innovation Officer, Co-Owner, Angelsmith
- Aliza Sherman, Social Mobile Pioneer, Author
- Jean Arnold, President, Hanzell Vineyards
The survey results will provide critical data to wineries and vineyards throughout California, Oregon and Washington, enabling them to measure their 2012 operating and financial results against industry leaders.
- Bill Rodda, Vice President, American AgCredit
- Steve Fredricks, President, Turrentine Brokerage
- Rick Boland, Sr. Business Consultant, Moss Adams LLP
8. CURRENT SUCCESSION ISSUES FOR FAMILY OWNED BUSINESSES
- Jill Dodd, Partner, Manatt/ Phelps/Phillips - Family Wealth Transfer Planning and Trust & Estate Administration
- Greg Scott, CPA, Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers
“THE GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT FOR WINE"
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
|7:45 - 8:15 am
||COFFEE & REGISTRATION
|8:15 - 8:20 am
||WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS
Kathryn Archer, President, Wine Industry Symposium Group
|8:20 - 8:30 am
||WINE INDUSTRY OVERVIEW
David Freed, Chairman, The Silverado Group
|8:30 - 9:15 am
WHAT WINE INDUSTRY LEADERS THINK IS IMPORTANT FOR THE FUTURE
Robert Smiley, Dean and Professor Emeritus, Director of Wine Graduate School of Management, University of California, Davis
|9:15 - 10:00 am
Russ Joy, President, Patz & Hall, Stev e Spadarotto, VP & General Manager, Stags Leap Wine Cellars, Bill Leigon, President, Jamison Ranch Vineyards, Peter Mondavi, Co-Proprietor, Charles Krug
|10:00 - 10:30 am
||GET - ACQUAINTED BREAK
|10:30 - 11:45 am
THE STATE OF SUPPLY AND PROCESSING
Tony Correia, Owner, The Correia Company, Moderator
Steve Fredricks, President, Turrentine Wine Brokerage
Glenn Proctor, Partner, Ciatti Wine Company LLC
Hugh Reimers, Executive VP, Chief Operating Officer, Jackson Family Wines
|11:45 -12:30 pm
TRENDS IN TOTAL BEVERAGE ALCOHOL: DYNAMICS IN PROCING PROMOTION AND INNOVATION
Viven Azer, Vice President, Tobacco & Alcoholic Beverages, Citi Research
|12:30 - 1:45 pm
|1:45 - 2:45 pm
EXPANDING CHANNELS AND METHODS OF DISTRIBUTION: WHAT IS THE FUTURE?
Dale Stratton, Director of Stragetic Insights, Constellation Wines, Moderator
Linsly Donnelly, CMO, Wine.com
Rowan Gormley, Founder, Naked Wines
Matthew Green, VP Sales & Marketing, Esprit Du Vin Fine Wine Merchants (a division of Palm Bay International)
|2:45 - 3:30 pm
THE FACE OF TODAY'S CONSUMER: WHO IS BUYING WINE AND WHO ARE THE INFLUENCERS
John Gillespie, Preisdent, Wine Market Council and CEO, Wine Opinions
|3:30 to 4:00 pm
4:00 - 5:00 pm
|WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED TODAY?
Steve Spadarotto, VP & General Manager, Stags Leap Wine Cellars
Robert Fowles, CFO, Opus One Winery
WINETASTING AND RECEPTION- HOSTED BY THE WINE INDUSTRY FINANCIAL SYMPOSIUM SPONSORS